Thursday, March 15, 2012

Upscale raw cabbage mix makes delicious "slaw"

Today I ate a superb dish I had never eaten before. The cook is always blowing me away with her great dishes. I not only brought home the recipe, but an extra helping to eat later. She won't mind. I learned she and her husband have been married 62 years, which means I was six when they married. She's a petite, striking woman.

She calls this cole slaw. Don't be fooled. It rather resembles tabouli in appearance.

JAYA'S COLE SLAW

1 medium head of cabbage
3 regular carrots
4 celery ribs

Chop all in the food processor.

ADD:
2 cups dried cranberries
2 cups chopped walnuts
16 oz. cottage cheese
2T balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup Vidalia Onion Vinegrette (Sams has it)

Lordy this is good.

My church has a monthly lunch group for anyone over 50, so the ages range widely. We get together, visit, have a five-minute program and bless the food, and eat and laugh and get to know one another. A lot of oldtimers, but also some new folks. I'm kind of in the middle.

This month's buffet was salads and desserts, of course. I made dill potato salad, we had pasta salad, tossed salad, mandarin orange salad, pea salad, a mango puree, tuna salad, fresh fruit, lotsa crackers of different kinds ( I love the Blue Diamond ones with ground nuts) and Mississippi Mud Cake, coconut cream pie, pineapple upside down cake and cookies...oh, and chocolate brownies.

They were all good, but this "cole slaw" stood out. Bet you can be a hit with it at the next large gathering/family reunion. Take copies. People will ask.

I asked Jaya if she would make this for me once in a while and she laughed. She thought I was kidding. Hope mine turns out as well.

This is a keeper. MMMMmm-MMM!

No comments: