Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Look at Yourself and Enjoy the Greatness

I remember political cartoons in the 1950s of Russian men, and especially women. They were depicted as large, lumbering human beings, with muscles. And not so smart.

I look around me and see a lot of people I know to be smart lumbering. and they don't have a lot of muscle. I want to yell at them, particularly since I have knee replacements. Not recently, but years before, I lumbered. It led to the need for knee replacements.

And doctors are pleased with me. You know why? because a lot of people who get knee replacements don't get more active. They just sit down and expect the knees to work better when they stand up to get more snacks. I'm trying to do everything I can to get my earlier life back, and am succeeding to a great degree.

You know, a guy or gal who goes into orthopedics, takes you into surgery, bludgeons your knee, installs a metallic substitute, and then tries to help you get therapy,well, they aren't doing it for the pay check.

They do the work and enjoy the pay. But the payoff is when folks like me ride a bicycle again, start a garden, walk the dogs, and maybe start line-dancing. If we do creative work, no matter what, we want the smiles.

I don't know what my doctor will think in December, but I'm loving my life, so humble about what medicine can do, limited on what I can do, know it's more if I am consistent.

Life is so much more than a year ago. Mine is simple. New knees and exercse. Oh, I quit smoking. And I exercise. Doesn't make me bullet-proof by any means, but I'm happier than I've been in years. That's just for today.Tomorrow? will take care of itself if I do. I may never ever lift 50 pounds again. But I can lift 25 with repetition. So I'll do that.And as much more as I can.

I don't care about how many more years I live, but I do care how many I live with activity. Not longevity--activity.


What are you doing to make your life more?

No comments: