Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A day to remember

Yesterday was a memorable day.

I bought a house. And my car is NOT totaled. A great deal to do.
I went to a meeting last night with a lot of folks older and much younger than I, and the common trait of all seemed to be awareness of others, and an eager air of curiosity and looking forward. Or maybe I am projecting, but I am too comfortable with these folks not to share a lot of common ground.

My car will be ready in a couple of weeks, and I will begin a new life. There is something to be said for taking out a 30-year loan in my sixties. I most certainly did not encounter age discrimination, gender discrimination, or any other kind.

As I signed my name over and over yesterday, I thought of my dad, considered so liberal and forward thinking because he made a loan to two sisters widowed in WWII without requiring a male relative's signature. In 1948, he let them sign their very own selves to buy their candy shop, Ma-Lee's, and set up in Ruidosa. New Mexico. They did smashingly. Best divinity and fudge I have ever tasted. (sigh) It was a great business.

Yesterday three women--me, the bank officer and the title company representative, sat down to do a little business ourselves. It was a sweet taste of the present and the possibilities for women today.

3 comments:

clairz said...

Good for you, and congratulations!

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Congrats to you! We really HAVE come a long way, Baby! Good luck and happiness in your new home.

charlotte g said...

Clairz and Deb--thank you. I am far behind on packing, even though the total boxes will probably be well under 20. Did I mention I have downsized? I suspect I won't be online much in the next week or two if at all. But I look forward to catching up with both of you when I get back.