Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Planting in a Warmer World

Lordy, Lordy.

Texas is so big we have snowdrifts in the Panhandle, my Bradford Pear is blooming, and it's already time to talk tomatoes. And it is almost March. It shouldn't be time yet.

We are not supposed to be fertilizing the lawns yet,either, but many are. Rightfully, I think.

Climate change? yes. We have it. We adapt.

I'm looking forward to the new adaptations, especially if they are edible.

We are still behind on rainfall, but not as much.

The climate is changing. We have to change with it while leaving a world we can still live in.

My tomatoes will go in maybe a month early.

I look forward to them. I love strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches...oh, let's add cantalope, Jeruselum melon, Honeydew and watermelon. Raspberries. UMMM.

BUT nothing escapes the beautiful, elusive, full-bodied flavor of the first ripe tomato off the vine. It is indeed my favorite.

So it is time to plant again, ignoring the almanac, because climate---is changing.

No comments: