Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Contraction of Freedom

It won't be a lot, statistically, but some women won't be able to vote in Texas this year.

We have a new photo ID law.

I recently voted early. Before I went in, I looked for my voter ID and realized when I neatened my purse recently, I apparently threw it away with the old one.

It didn't matter. This year you don't need a voter id to vote. Only a driver's license, or three other options.

Thing is, my voter's id card and driver's license card don't match exactly. One includes my maiden name, the other doesn't. I had to sign an affidavit to vote, even with the picture matching my appearance. Women will have more problems since we are the ones who change names. We have women who have been voting legally for years with one last name on their driver's license and their new married name on the voter ID, or vice versa. Older people no longer driving with no voter ID can't vote at all.

I guess I'll wait and see how many didn't get to vote. Probably less than 10 percent.

But by gum, illegal immigrants didn't get to vote.

Oh, unless they already have a Texas driver's license and voter registration that agrees.

Sorry. Don't often go into politics, but this irritates me.

No comments: