Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Huevos Rancheros-regional comfort food

So. It is four days since the record-breaking 12-inch-plus snowfall. There are still pockets, especially carcasses of melting snowmen and snowwomen on the yards all over the Metroplex.

During the snow days, I fixed one of my favorite, easy-peasy comfort foods. It occurs to me some of you don't know about it.

Huevos Rancheros
For each person, take two tortillas. To me, that automatically means corn, but I realize there are people who even make enchiladas with flour tortillas.(shudder)

Same instructions apply.
Put a tablespoon or so of oil in a frying pan and heat to frying temperature. Put in a tortilla, corn or flour, and heat until it puffs a little. Flip. Toast until sligntly crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Do another. Overlap the tortillas.

Coat with your favorite pecante. Top with cheese. Yeah, white cheese is more authentic, but I usually use shredded cheddar. Stick in the microwave for a minute to melt while you add a little more oil and fry two eggs. Pull out plate with tortillas, pecante and melted cheese, and top with hot fried eggs (I like the yolks thick and liquid, and I blot the grease on these, too.) Top with a light sprinkling of more cheese, maybe a dash of cumin, And maybe a dollop more of picante.

If you have fresh cilantro, I usually don't, they are even better.

If you are feeding a family, stick finished plates in oven set on warm until all are done. Eat.

Oh, you can heat up a can or two of pinto beans and add on the side. The egg dish is enough to leave me full and happy for about 3-4 hours.

Yes, this is breakfast, but can be eaten for lunch or supper.

See? Easy-peasy. Fresh flour tortillas should puff just like fresh corn. Corn are more delicious, in my world, and a lot less calories. More fiber.

Do as you wish. It's fast, easy, and delicious.

Took very little time from watching the snow fall.

No comments: