Friday, January 6, 2012

A New Year, A New Life, A New Knee

Following surgery Dec. 21, I woke up Dec. 22 to find my pins a little more wobbly than I would like. So I spent another week in rehab hospital.

A good friend ( who had privately decided to sleep on my couch a couple of nights) told me, "At last you've regained your senses." So I was back to three therapy sessions a day in rehab, which is a really good thing. It has gone faster this time. At two weeks, I'm spending more than half my time on a cane.I didn't get off the walker the first time until after the third week. Matter of fact, I'll get physical therapy at home for this week and next before going to an outpatient facility. I'll be driving in another week.

The first time, the surgery felt like beginning something new. This time, it feels like a natural continuation of where I want to go physically.As soon as I can pedal using my left knee, I'm off to far healthier aerobics and a more active life.

I'll never be really athletic, but I'm going to put in a garden this spring and start walking with Gracie. I look forward to this with such pleasure.

My granddaughters helped their dad take care of Gracie while I was gone. They played with her, threw balls, and let her snooze in their laps. Oldest granddaughter told me that "just every now and then" Gracie would have a sad face. Then she would brighten and play some more. I tell you, this dog has great attitude.

We finally got everybody together for present exchange this past Wednesday. A number of people have asked me if I minded being in the hospital at Christmas. The answer is no. I was too busy learning how to use my new knee. The granddaughters vacuumed and did laundry when needed. Home a week, I can pretty much do that now.

I got my daughter-in-law a rainbarrel and will go get her another and one for me (they fit in a Camry one at a time.) And some more soaker hoses. I hope the coming year will not be as hot, but it probably will be as dry. More on my hobby horse later. We are going to learn now to grow things with as little water as possible.

I think it will be interesting and fun.

4 comments:

clairz said...

Charlotte, Happy New Year! You got the best Christmas present of all. I am so glad to read that you are doing so well.

I'll look forward to your posts on gardening in a dry, hot land. I have already decided to forgo even thinking about growing tomatoes this year. I'll get most of my vegetables at the farmers market; At least that way, I'll be buying locally and supporting nearby farmers. I hope my roses do better than last year, and hope that the hollyhocks do as well. I know that the cacti will thrive. I should learn my desert gardening lessons a little quicker, but I guess I have to do it all the hard way, through experience.

I'm going to try to stop yearning over the Burpee catalog and will try getting one from a desert gardening place in Albuquerque. Good luck to you and your garden (and to me and mine)!

charlotte g said...

Last year, even the farmer's markets all had closed by mid-july.This fall, we got the tomatoes, squash, and okra again. My DIL whisked her tomatoes off the plants on the eve of a deep freeze in late November. I'll post some about Earth-Kind roses a little later. Don't know if they are sold out of state.

Happy New year!

charlotte g said...

Last year, even the farmer's markets all had closed by mid-july.This fall, we got the tomatoes, squash, and okra again. My DIL whisked her tomatoes off the plants on the eve of a deep freeze in late November. I'll post some about Earth-Kind roses a little later. Don't know if they are sold out of state.

Happy New year!

J.R.Shirley said...

Best wishes for continued and rapid recovery. :-)